Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bloom Book Selection for Spring 2010

The wait is over! Please watch our video announcement for some details about our spring book selection. 


Bloom Book Announcement- Spring 2010 from angie smith on Vimeo.


Okay, so here are the details written out. :)

We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life this spring.

Every Sunday night Angie and I will post a video of us discussing the book, as well as some questions in Ning for everyone to discuss. This book has A LOT of great material and we will only be able to scratch the surface. We are hoping that many of you will go deep into this and that a lot of great conversations will be had. The book includes an excellent study guide for those of you that are type A like me. :)

We are also working on details to do a live (maybe video) chat at some point during this study.

Schedule:
March 31: Book announcement
April 9: All book requests and offers to provide books must be submitted
April 25: Chapters 1-3
May 2: Chapters 4-6
May 9: Chapters 7-9
May 16: Chapters 10-12

The book is only $10 on Amazon. It has been out for a while, so you may be able to find it cheaper at used book stores or borrow it for free at the library.

Ensuring Everyone Can Read
Part of the ministry of Bloom is that we want everyone to be able to participate. If you cannot swing the $10 to purchase a book and can't find the book at your local library, please fill out the form below to submit your contact information. Thanks to the generosity of the book's publisher, Thomas Nelson, as well as advertising/affiliate dollars from this site, we will be able to provide books to the first 125 people who request them. (If you purchase the book through the Amazon link in this post, a portion of the cost goes toward postage and books for people now and in the future!)
UPDATE: 12:20 pm on April 6: The 125 books are all spoken for! 
UPDATE: April 10: We have closed requests for books, but are leaving the offer to provide books open, as the need is greater than the supply

After that 125 books, we will be depending on other Bloomies! :) If you are willing to provide a book or two or more, please fill out the Book Provider form with how many books you can provide. After the first 125 people, we will begin matching people - person who needs book with person who can give books.

This is an incredible part of this community. Last time, more than 300 books were requested and thanks to many of you, everyone was able to read Same Kind of Different as Me.

We hope you are as excited about this book as we are. Check back during the next month - we have some other surprises up our sleeve.

24 comments:

  1. So excited about the new book. Getting ready to order it now. BUT I just had to say, I love watching your video announcements because they make me laugh... not for the reason you would think though... it's because my computer takes SO INCREDIBLY LONG to load so it pauses every 10 seconds of your video. At one point, it paused as Angie was talking about the book and Jessica was blinking so it looked as if Jess was sleeping. Another time it paused and made it look like Angie was gritting her teeth while glaring at Jessica. I know, so not the point here... I do go back and listen to it once it's all loaded, but I get so much enjoyment out of watching it as it's loading. Sorry... this is so not appropriate... is it. Really looking forward to the new book girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered and I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking up at Erin's comment!! :D

    Thank you for announcing the book, I've been so curious as to what it would be! Never heard of it, can't wait to try it!!


    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! The author spoke at our church's women's retreat a few years ago, and she's a terrific teacher. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I'm excited to dive into this new book. I've learned so much from the first two. I will be ordering it today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited about this book. I, too, have never heard of it and am thrilled to be introduced to it through this book club! I have several friends I'm also going to share it with as well! Thank you for providing this opportunity for all of us!
    Ter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Great selection! I read that book years ago and loved it! Now if I can just find my copy??? We moved almost a year ago, but some of our stuff is still in boxes. =)Time to dig...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The women in my church read this book about a year ago, and we actually had the opportunity to have Paula Rinehart come speak at our church this past weekend! What a great choice! I will be rereading it along with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've had this book since high school (weird, i know....but i saw my discipler reading it and thought i might pick it up too) and have it dogeared on pg. 6. Never got very far! excited to get though it this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok...what am I missing ladies? I see the Kindle version on Amazon for $9.99 but the actual paperback book is listed as $19.27 and up from other sellers but not Amazon. Help!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Click through on the link that we posted. If you go to Amazon and click on the $19.27 version, posted on there is a paperback for $10 something (listed with the kindle). It is confusing. That is another reason why we posted the direct link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read that book several times and love it! I'll have to re-read it to join in the discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this book so I am super excited!!

    I am almost done reading "what difference do it make" and it is incredible, I love reading more of Denver and Ron's story and seeing how it has inspired others.

    Thank you ladies for organizing all this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just ordered my copy :)
    soo excited to be part of the book club for the first time..yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought the title sounded familiar, so I went into our family library and there it was! A friend had given it to me years ago but I had never read it. I am so excited to read it with all of you! If anyone is looking for a quick and great read between now and April 25, I just finished Francine River's new release, Her Mother's Hope. Can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found you here - yeah! I'm looking forward to joining bloom! Thanks!
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited that I can join in this time! I just ordered my book about 10 seconds ago and am looking forward to April 25th!! :) Thank you for doing this for us, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read the reviews of this book on Amazon and one reviewer said, "If you loved Sacred Romance then you would love this book." Well, I did not like Sacred Romance and have not liked any other books by the Eldredges that I have read. Because of this comment that I saw on Amazon I'm very apprehensive to pick up this book and read it. I've felt that I couldn't identify with the Eldredges and was wondering if there are others that feel the same. Also if anyone else has read "Strong Women, Soft Hearts" and could comment on it compared to Sacred Romance please do so. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. This line from the review on Amazon decided it for me: "Strong Women, Soft Hearts cries out for women to embrace passion and approach life as something to be lived, not merely survived." Sounds like a good plan to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought and downloaded the ebook - so much easier sometimes! Looks great, can't wait to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am really excited for this book!! This one looks like it's really going to speak straight to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm going to try to order it. I really enjoyed 'Same Kind of Different As Me.'

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will you all be hosting Twitter gatherings so that we can discuss the book in realtime? That would be so great! If yes, what would the #hastag be?

    ReplyDelete